Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Discovering Health: One Week YEAR Later

A year! You guys, so much has changed, and I want to share the BIGGEST change.

I have unofficially be diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

Unofficially, because I haven't had a endoscopy to confirm.

Unofficially, because the diet changes suggested by my doctor and through my research are helping.

After going gluten and dairy free and not seeing significant improvement. The doctor suggested the low FODMAP diet. But yet, I was still spending days unable to leave the house and always carrying a change of clothes and mapping where the nearest bathroom was. Something, I have done for years.

At the first of year, I switched to the Paleo diet, and the road hasn't be easy, but I have seen amazing improvements, and have been able to start running again.

What is the Paleo diet?


Well, if you ask different people you'll get different answers. The basic guidelines are:

DO EAT:                                                                     DO NOT EAT:
Grass fed meats                                                           Cereal Grains
Fish/seafood                                                                Legumes
Fresh fruits and vegetables                                          Dairy
Nuts                                                                             Refined Sugar
Healthy oils                                                                 Potatoes
                                                                                    Processed Foods
                                                                                    Refined fats and oils


What does this mean for me?


I already can't eat gluten and dairy. But I have no cut out all grains, on top of being gluten free. It seems like I can't eat anything, but there is a lot that I can eat. Namely:

Bacon
Eggs
Sweet Potatoes
Fruit and most vegetables

I don't want to become another "mommy blogger" or another "food blogger". But I do want to share my recipes, trials, failures, and other food related topics with you. I love to eat, and not that I am not spending half my life sick from food, I am really enjoy it.

Look forward to some recipes on Fridays and more Discovering Health posts on Tuesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment