Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Discovering Health: Accepting Food Allergies

In November of 2011, I found out I have a food allergy. After YEARS, of being told my digestive problem was IBS, I finally found a real answer.

This one food allergy started me down a path of wanting to know more about the food I was eating, and how it was prepared.

I started reading about food, and watching food documentaries, and researching how to eat.

I felt like there was a different diet for every person who has ever lived on this planet.

Cutting out DAIRY has been hard, I still struggle.

A few months after having Mr. Z, I went on an Elimination Diet, I didn't stick with it long enough to find anything. After Mr. Z started solids, he started to show signs of food allergies.

I started back on the diet, and we started to find out what Mr. Z is allergic to.

I thought since I had this DAIRY allergy, I might also have a WHEAT/GLUTEN allergy. They tend to go hand and hand.

I ignored this for years, as I wasn't ready to go through the grieving process that would follow the change needed.

This last weekend my sister was visiting. And after being good for a few weeks, I lapsed, and we gorged ourselves. It didn't help any that she was pregnant and I have little to no will power.

As I write this, my gut is churning and gurgling. I have been farting non stop, and my joints ache.

It is time for me to mourn the loss of the staple of the American diet.

It is time for me to let go, and let my body heal.

I have cleaned my house out, and we don't allow any gluten into our house.

I have a menu planned.

I have groceries and full cupboards of SAFE foods.

I need to find the WILL POWER to be strong.

I have some great examples around me of friends who have made this change. I need to lean on them more. I hope they don't mind. I need some cheer leaders.

Here is to one day at a time, gluten free for a healthy body.

Yesterday, I had my last meal. It wasn't a healthy one, but sometimes you just need some comfort food. Goodbye, dear friend, Gluten, Goodbye!


1 comment:

  1. I know it must be tough, girl, but you need to look out for yourself! You don't want to see Lil' Z suffer eating the wrong things, so you shouldn't either!

    ReplyDelete