Monday, January 30, 2012

An Experiment with Yeast

I am an engineer. A non-practicing engineer, but an engineer none the less. 
I am a Material Science Engineer, in school, I focused on metals. Magnesium was my FAVORITE.
Now I am an Engineering Homemaker.
I use those calculus skills in baking, fractions are hard!
I also know that those non-stick coatings, NO GOOD! Not for your health and not for your food. You should use stainless steal, tri-layer, or something clad (or stone!). I am also poor so my dream is to own an ALL-CLAD set for my kitchen, but I am also realistic and so I own those old classic copper bottom pots. Hard to find, but when you do find them at thrift stores, usually in good condition and dirt cheap.

But the point of this post is to tell you about an experiment. Last night when I was making bread for the week, I thought to myself, am I using the BEST yeast?

I have always used RED STAR ACTIVE DRY YEAST. 
But is it the best?
I use it because that is what my mother uses, which is probably what Grandma uses. 

There are many different types of yeast:
WET and DRY

With in DRY you have:
ACTIVE DRY and INSTANT DRY

Which is the best?

This week I am going to do a little segment on Yeast. Tell you about the different types, when to use them, and why to use that over another. Then to end the week with an experiment. Details on that experiment are to come, don't you worry!


No comments:

Post a Comment