Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Yeast Experiment!

To finish up our week about yeast, lets do an experiment. I picked up 4 different packages of yeast at my local grocery store. I looked and asked about fresh yeast, and no one knew what I was talking about! I am going to keep looking, last I knew there was a bakery where my in-laws live. I am going to going to go over and see if it is still there this next week and see if I can get some there!

For the experiment I have set up the parameters, have a control, and even a yeast substitute I found online.

Which is the best?

Hypothesis: There is no difference between yeasts.
Experiment: Make the Copy-Cat Olive Garden Bread Sticks and see which yeast rises the dough the 
most, and has the best taste.


Experimental Procedure:

Step One: Follow the recipe directions, SIX TIMES!
Step Two: Regret starting this at 8 pm....
Step Three: Eat yummy bread sticks!

Results:

Control:
For the control I added NO YEAST. I know a little about wild yeast, but wasn’t expecting much.

Yeast Substitute: Um... No does not work. Plus the dough smelled funny...


I even let these 'rise' over night... NOTHING. The substitute turned a funny green color... 




Yeast #1: (Hodgson Mill ): This was a larger package than the others, so I expected more rise (volume), got it.



Yeast #2: (Red Star Active Dry): This is what I normally use. I like it. It preformed well. Nice doubling in the rises.




Yeast #3: (Red Star Instant): Unexpected rise volume, tied with Yeast #4

Yeast #4: (Bakipan): Same as the Yeast #3.




In the taste test, B said, there was no real difference in the breads. He did though like the texture of Yeast #4 the best, and asked for me to start using it in his sandwich bread.


Overall, I really don't think I am going to change yeast. Maybe another experiment off of this would be a way to quantify the second rise height.


No comments:

Post a Comment