Thursday, April 19, 2012

Laundry, Thrift Style



I have been a laundry Nazis since I learned how to do laundry, at around age 12.  No joke! Just ask some of my college roommates or floor mates. Two hour laundry slots did not work for me. I am very particular about what clothes get washed with what, or how clothes get washed. And I used to be very particular about what laundry detergent I used. When I went to college and could start buying my own laundry soap, I tried everything the stores had to offer. DISLIKED them ALL! Then I discovered this wonderful soap

From biokleen
I LOVED IT! Minus the arm and the leg it cost to purchase it. Then I got married... And after a year of trying to find an alternative, so my Husband wouldn't have a heart attack when I said we need more laundry soap, I found I can make it myself!

No, not the Biokleen liquid soap, I make my own Laundry Soap! and I LOVE IT! Just as much as the Biokleen!

My Laundry Soap and scoop!


So here is the recipe:
Small batch (makes about 4 cups or 64 washes)
1 cup borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1 cup Oxi-Clean
1 bar Fels-Naptha or Dr. Bronner's Hemp Pure Castile soap

Large Batch (make enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket! Which is about 960 washes!)
2 boxes Borax (4 lbs each)
2 boxes Super Washing Soda (55 oz each)
2-3 pound tubs of Oxi-clean
6 bars Fels-Naptha or Dr. Bronner's Hemp Pure Castile soap

Grate the soap, like you would cheese.
Place all the ingredients into a container (an old spaghetti sauce jar works great for the small batch)
Shake or stir until combined.
Use ONE TABLESPOON per load.


Large Batch Laundry Detergent



It is that easy! The small batch lasted us about 6 months. I loved this stuff so much that I just made a large batch that I just have to scoop some into my container to refill. I am hoping that it will last a good 3 years. I will let you know when we run out!

But making your own stuff, is it really cost efficient? Well, here is the run down: (Prices from my local grocer where I purchased the items)
Borax- $4.28 per box
Super Washing Soda- $3.17 per box
Oxi-Clean- $7.47 per tub
Fels-Naptha bar- $0.97
Dr. Bronner's Bar- $3.95

$4.28 x 2 = $8.56
$3.17 x 2 = $6.34
$7.47 x 2 = $14.94
$0.97 x 6 = $5.82
$3.95 x 6 = $23.70

Using Fels-Naptha: $35.66 / 960 loads = $0.037 cost per load
Using Dr. Bronner's Castile soap: $53.54 / 960 =$0.056 cost per load

So making your own laundry soap comes to about 4 cents a load. So how does that add up to store bought? (prices from Amazon, non-sale price)

Gain
Powder: $47.37 / 150 loads = $0.315
Liquid: $73.24 / 192 loads = $0.381

All Free and Clear
Powder: $22.99 / 80 loads = $0.286
Liquid: $21.73 / 64 loads = $0.339

Tide
Powder: $48.04 / 120 loads = $0.400
Liquid: $75.10 / 144 loads = $0.521

Arm & Hammer
Powder: $39.33 / 215 loads = $0.183
Liquid: $24.12 / 50 loads = $0.482

WOW! The cheapest detergent was still $0.14 more per load! I am sold! I hope you are too!

But that is not all! If you had read this far I have to give you some EH advice!

Have you ever forgotten about a load of laundry? Well, I have, many times! I have two options for you on how to get that musty smell out.

1. Start the washer as normal, add your regular amount of detergent PLUS 1 cup BAKING SODA and 1 cup VINEGAR (white distilled). Wash as normal.

2. In the hottest water the load can handle, soak for 1hour with 1 cup Borax. I put the borax in with the running water, let the machine swish for about 10-15 minutes and then I turn if off to soak of an hour. Then you drain the water and wash as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment