Thursday, April 26, 2012

Washing Dishes, Can Be Fun?

If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Really dishwasher detergent is expensive! I haven't have to purchase it in almost a year. There are so many different kinds out there, it is hard to find a good one.

We used to buy:
Cascade ActionPacs Dishwasher Detergent Fresh Scent

When you go to the store you have an isle full of different types of dishwasher detergent. According to Amazon.com there are 675! But how do they compare to making it your self?

Packets (Prices are from Amazon, non-sale price):
Cascade, 85 count: $18.47 / 85 loads = $0.217
Finish, 85 count: $34.19 / 85 loads = $0.402
Seventh Generation, 20 count: $12.27/ 20 loads = $0.613

Powder (Assume you use 2 oz per load):
Cascade, 75 oz: $5.15 / 38 loads = $0.135
Finish, 150 oz: $15.57 / 75 loads = $0.207
Seventh Generation, 45 oz: $8.99 / 23 = $0.391

Gel (Assume you use 2 oz per load):
Cascade, 45 oz: $4.54 / 23 = $0.197
Finish, 75 oz: $6.99 / 38 = $0.184
Seventh Generation, 42 oz, $8.99 / 21 = $0.428

$0.20 per load is not that bad. But how much is it to make my own? (Prices are what I paid for at my local grocer)

Borax, 4 pound box, $4.28
Washing Soda, 3.5 pound box, $3.17
Epsom Salt, 4 pound box, $3.24
Citric Acid*--$0.59 per ounce (you will need about 3 oz)

* There are a few options here. 1) use unsweetened lemonade drink mix, like kool-aid, 2) use Fruit Fresh Produce Protector made by Ball, found in the canning isle, or 3) find food grade citric acid powder. I used the Fruit Fresh, until I found Citric Acid at my local health food store in their bulk section.

You will need to know a couple things before you should make this...

#1: Is your water HARD or SOFT?
#2: What type of RISE AID are you using?
#3: Are you prepared to blow your friends away with how awesome you are because you are saving money in ways they don't think about?

#1) I have SUPER hard water. If we owned a house, we would invest in some sort of hard water treatment, but we don't. I started looking at at ways to help remove the hard water spots on our dish, when I came across making your own dish detergent.

#2) For rinse aid, I had been using Jet Dry liquid, until I figured out that the dispenser in the washer doesn't dispense the liquid... So I tried the Jet Dry solid rinse aid. Work alright until I heard about this:

Lemi Shine® Original 12oz
OH MY GOODNESS is this stuff good! It works so well, that I can not believe I haven't heard of it before. I use it with the Jet Dry Solid rinse aid. Hard water spots are gone!

#3) My friends think I am crazy. Even my frugal mother in law, thinks I am crazy. But you know what, I am saving money on the cleaning products! And that makes me feel good, and my house toxic chemical free!


I have told you about how great this detergent is, so here is how to make it followed by the cost run down.

Step One: Measure 1 cup BORAX, 1 cup WASHING SODA, 1/2 cup CITRIC ACID and 1/2 cup EPSOM SALT (For softer water use 1/4 cup Epsom Salts)
Step Two: Put all ingredients into an air tight container (I like to use an old glass jar, Adams' Peanut Butter Jars are my favorite jars right now!)
Step Three: Mix, by closing the container and shaking
Step Four: Use 1 TBSP per load of dishes

I am not sure, but I think I could have added a few more steps!

Cost:
Out of a box of Borax you should get about 9 cups, from the Washing Soda about 7, and from the Epsom Salts about 9 cups.

Borax: $4.28 / 9 = $0.48 per cup
Washing Soda: $3.17 / 7 = $0.45 per cup
Epsom Salts: $3.24 / 9 =  $0.36 per cup
I used about 3 ounces of citric acid which cost about $2. 

For a total of $3.29!

You get 3 cups of detergent with this, and with 16 tablespoons in cup that makes for 48 loads. In other words you use ONE TABLESPOON a load!

$3.29 / 48 = $0.068

6 CENTS A LOADS!!!

TIPS:

This are very important, please don't gloss over yet!

Use a good rinse aid!--Like, I said above, I use the LemiShine and a rinse aid. When using this detergent, if you do not use the LemiShine you will get a film on plastic. It will rinse off, but adding the LemiShine will solve the problem. (LemiShine $3.66 for 12 oz, 0.5 oz per load (1 tbsp), cost 15 cents a load.)

Use 1 TBSP detergent!--American's has a soap fetish, we really do not need to use as much soap as we do.  Put one TBSP detergent in your open soap dish, and 1 TBSP into the dispenser that closes (it is a rinse aid).

If it gets hard-- DON"T WORRY. It is just the citric acid. Take a spoon and break it up. Next time, or now, try using a air tight container (like a glass jar with screw on lid). Or let is sit open on the counter for a few days stirring it every so often.












No comments:

Post a Comment