Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How Crunchy are You?

So I am not sure what to talk about today, so I thought I would look and CrunchyBetty for some ideas... While I was at it, I decided to look up what 'Crunchy' means. It is something have wondered about, and thought it was interesting enough to talk about.

Crunchy: Sometimes, crunchy granola . Informal . health-conscious and environmentally aware: one of those crunchy guys whoinsists on biking to work.
From Dictionary.com

Hun... So health-conscious and environmentally aware... I guess I am 'crunchy' then. But how 'crunchy' is 'crunchy'?

I did a google search, and found some interesting quizzes, some were good, others I thought we way crazy. So I decided to combined them all and make our own.


These are all yes no questions, 1 point for a yes, 0 for no. (If you have yet to do something, like breastfeed, then put what you would most likely do.)
Do you/would you?

Children:
Breastfeed
Tandem nurse/ nurse while pregnant
Child-led wean
Baby wear/use a sling/soft carrier like the Moby
Clothing Diaper
Co-sleep
Avoid plastic toys/battery-operated toys
Homebirth/alternative birth (I.E. Not a drugged hospital birth.) (If was/is a goal but circumstances prevent it give yourself a point)
observe your fertility signals using Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness and use that for birth control/trying to conceive
Homeschool

Household:
Avoid plastics
Natural cleaning products
Organic produce
Organic/grass feed meats
Vegan for environmental impact (not allergies)
Car-free/hybrid/one-car family
Compost/garden
Buy local milk
Use reusable grocery bags
Herbal/homeopathic remedies
Recycle (as much as your area allows)
Bike or walk to work/school/store 2+ times a week
Making food from scratch (little to no ‘boxed’ meals)

You:
Reusable hygiene (things like the Diva Cup)
Natural soaps/no ‘poo

Score:
20-25: Super Crunchy


15-19: Crunchy
10-14: Granola sprinkles
5-9: Oatmeal
0-4: Boxed dinner



Here is my score: 17-Crunchy.

How do you score?
Would you add anything?
What changes have you made or want to make to be more 'crunchy'?


Links, if you would like to see the original quizzes.
http://www.pistachioproject.com/2012/08/how-crunchy-are-you.html
http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/198862.page
http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/how-crunchy-are-you
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/539400-how-crunchy-you.html
http://green.yourway.net/question-of-the-day-how-crunchy-are-you/
http://themoralesfamily.us/granola.htm

8 comments:

  1. Love the Diva Cup! I'm oatmeal though. Need to bump it up a notch I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Diva Cup! I'm oatmeal though. Need to bump it up a notch I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You use the Diva Cup! That is great! I, personally, am a little weird-ed out by it... Start small on your changes. Take some of the other quizzes too, you might be more crunchy than you think!

      Delete
    2. I started using it a little over two months ago. It's not as bad as you think! I personally love mine. Text me if you have questions about it.

      Delete
  3. 17 One day I want to have a garden, goat and chickens, that will up the crunch! and check out this http://whereismymilkfrom.com/ about milk sources. It is usually closer than you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the milk information. I was referring more to buying milk from small local dairies, not giant corporations. The milk I buy for Wonderful Man is from California south of LA... Not local enough. But as poor college students we can not afford to buy the more local milk. :(

      Delete
  4. Uh, I got 19 (although somehow I wrote 22...how did that happen!) but I plan to do all of these and more. And I'm not even a mama or pregnant yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly thought you would be higher than 19! We are excited to cloth diaper though. But I have been hearing more and more people who just hate doing where we live...

      Delete