Friday, September 7, 2012

The Farmer's Market

This post, is one I have been meaning to write for about a month now. Which means, even though I went to the Farmer's Market last Saturday, these pictures are a month old...

I love my local Farmer's Market. The city of Pullman, has one, but it is no where as good as the one 8 miles away in Moscow, Id.

Donut Peaches

Donut Nectarines

One thing about shopping farmer markets it that you need to be open to try new things. I had never heard of donut nectarines (yes that is spelled right, I checked!) I got some to try and other than being smaller than normal nectarines, they had a smaller pit. This made them easier to eat.

APPLES!
 This are a Moscow treat! The family that grows them is one of the few grower of this type of apple! I look forward to a few every year, they have a very short growing season.


Don't forget veggies! Green beans on top and lemon cucumber beneath.

Nectarines, apricots, peaches
There is always a street performer or two. We always give them some cash!

Berries

You can always find interesting things at these markets, like this hanging plant.

There is always food vendors, our favorites, Mini Doughnuts, and  Patty's Kitchen

Patty's Kitchen's booth

Homemade jams
Homemade soaps
Shopping Farmer Markets involves fluidity. Some vendor might not always have what you want. Due to growing conditions, some things might have very short seasons. 

My number one tip for shopping markets like these, DO NOT TAKE A LIST! I go, get what vegetables and fruits I want and then make my menu and grocery list for the week.

Young musicians
 
It doesn't matter the bass is twice my height!
 There are even a few 'main stage' performers, this was a local blue grass group composed of young musicians and their instructor. It was great to listen to such talented young people.

1 comment:

  1. The community band performs during opening weekend, should have gone then. :-P

    ReplyDelete