Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Recipe: Confetti Beans

I know this has been a long time coming, but I finally got the chance to make dinner the other night. (Well, start making... I forgot about a meeting I had. Wonderful Man finished for us!)

This recipe, Confetti Beans, is the perfection of another recipe that I had and like, but knew it needed more. The best part of this recipe is that it is naturally gluten and milk protein free! Which is a plus for any recipe. If you aren't a meat eater, no worries, just don't use bacon and use a TBSP of olive oil.

Confetti Beans
3 strips of Bacon
1 Onion, chopped
3 ribs, chopped Celery
3 cloves Garlic, crushed and rough chopped
1 Red Pepper, small, Chopped
1 Green Pepper, small, chopped
1 Yellow Pepper,small, chopped
1 tsp thyme, crushed
1 ½ cup cooked Red Kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 can)
1 ½ cup diced Tomatoes
2 cups cooked Brown Rice
salt and pepper to taste

Don't judge the cans, my crock pot lid broke...

I like my veggies chopped coarsely

Cook bacon until crispy, set aside to cool, reserving 1-2 TBSP of the fat.
Saute the onions and celery in the fat until soft, and starting to turn golden. Add the Garlic, peppers, and Thyme. Cook stirring for two minutes, add the kidney beans and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until most of the liquid is reduced.



Serve over warm brown rice.

Serves 6


As always, a link to a printable page.

1 comment: