Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thrifty Thursday and The Bathroom

I promised you the other day, I would personally clean the bathroom and then tell you how to do it. Well, I did clean the bathroom, and no there are no pictures to prove it. I did it while Wonderful Man was at school.

I went to clean the bathroom and brought with me a note pad to take notes, and then I got 2 tasks written down and then hit a groove. So no notes, but I did just clean it.

Now, the bathroom is a little different from all our other rooms in the house. For instance, it is gross. I mean, you do things in there you don't talk about, even to your doctor, even  if they ask (unless something is really wrong). So, this room gets a deeper clean weekly than most other rooms, and a deep deep clean Monthly. Or maybe I am just a germaphope!


Wednesday: Bathrooms Day!
Things to be done EVERY WEDNESDAY:
Clean out shower/tub of empty containers
Wipe down shower/tub with a good all purpose cleaner (or you can scrub it)
Dust
Wipe down Mirrors
Clean counters and sink
Change the towels
Clean the Toilet
Sweep and Mop

Everyday:
Straighten the items on the counter top
Pick up clothes
Put away toys 
Wipe down Mirrors
Wipe down counter top and sink
Open* shower curtain to dry or squeegee the glass to dry
Swish and Flush**
Spray Shower down with a daily shower spray

Monthly:
Scrub Shower/Tub
Launder bath mat
Scrub toilet
Mop
Scrub around toilet
Use the baking soda/vinegar preventative drain cleaner (to follow)

3 to 6 Months:
Change Shower curtain liner (every 3 months)
Wash Shower Curtain (6 months)
Clean out underneath the sink

When I said that I would clean the bathroom I was also going to try TWO new green cleaner. Well the first on is a preventative cleaner for your drains. I used it first on our clogged garbage disposal... I thought at first I had made it worse. But our land lord came over and fixed it and said that it was jammed or something and wasn't the baking soda and vinegar. He kind of laughed at me too, but I really thought I had broke the thing!

When I used it in the bathroom sink it worked great. I got it off Pintrest (If we get 10 followers Engineering Homemaking will join Pintrest and there will be more Homemaking Engineering!). Super simple, and after I used it thought, "Well, duh! Of course this works and didn't break the garbage disposal!"

The recipe I used was what the pinner put in the text box, then looking at the link, there was a different recipe So I will post both for you!

Pintrest: "Pour 1/2 cup baking soda and then 1/2 cup of vinegar. Cover up the drain during the crazy chemical reaction. Wait 15 mins and pour a pot of boiling water. It totally clears up the clogged drain caused by my long hair and it's easier on the pipes than Drano. Works every time!!"

From Crunchy Betty:

  • Pour a pot of boiling hot water down your drain.
  • Dump in about 1/2 c. baking soda. Let that sit for a few minutes.
  • Then, pour a mixture of 1 c. vinegar and 1. c very hot water down on top of the baking soda.
  • Cover with a drain plug (to keep the reaction down below the drain surface) if you have one and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
  • Flush one more time with a pot of boiling water.
Why this works: The baking soda and hot water treatment will loosen up any grimy sludge that’s hanging out at the bottom of your drain, and the explosive chemical reaction with the vinegar will jolt it all loose. Then one final super hot-water rinse will make all the bad stuff go bye-bye.
She also has a great deodorizer for the garbage disposal which, I am going to try after this.

Here is my opinion, use the first one weekly for preventative measures and the second one for clogs or once a month.

The second cleaner, A Daily Shower Spray! I am so excited to try this. It is going to be an experiment also! Here is a link to the recipe, but it is simply, 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water. More details on the experiment later.

I hope you enjoy cleaning your bathrooms now. I only have one, and I do not want more! After making this list, I am a little more motivated to clean the bathroom now... I might have to steal that from Wonderful Man!

*Open you Shower curtain to the "closed, I taking a shower" position.

**Spray the toilet bowl with a cleaner, take the scrub wand and scrub around quickly, flush when finished. This should take 1 minute tops when doing it daily. It will help when you go to scrub at your monthly cleaning. I shake some baking soda in the bowl, and let it sit while I do everything else, then swish and flush.

No comments:

Post a Comment