Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Focus Wednesday: Applesauce

This month's focus is Apples, and one of the many things you can do with apples is make applesauce. I am not going to tell you how to make applesauce, but focus more on what you can do with it.


Applesauce is great just to eat, but you can use it in baking too.

The number one thing people use applesauce for is reducing the fat in baked goods. We always have a bunch of unsweetened applesauce on hand just for baking. I do also tend to want to use the whole jar, so I end up with a lot of awesome baked goods.

To substitute unsweetened applesauce in baking, you exchange one-for-one applesauce for the oil or melted butter. Or 1/4 cup per egg. DO NOT DO BOTH! If you substitute the egg and the oil, you will get a flat baked good.

This substitution woks best in things like cakes or muffins, not cookies. Usually, I substitute in any 'quick bread' type recipe.

Of course you can always just eat the applesauce, or add some to your oatmeal or plain yogurt.

Now that it is fall, I am really looking forward to baking, hopefully my waist line doesn't expand too much!

If you are looking for why you can make this substitution look here.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of recipes, I need to borrow the canning book you have from mom so I can make some copies for me. Sadly the book is out of print. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the book is out of print, which is why I stole it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this wonderful Applesauce.
    I think we can also eat it with toast. Or we may call this home made jam??

    ReplyDelete